Recording Venue: OOPSLA 2007
Guest(s): Dan Grossman
This episode features a discussion with Dan Grossman about an essay paper he wrote for this year’s OOPSLA conference. The paper is about an analogy between garbage collection and transactional memory. In addition to seeing the beauty of the analogy, the discussion also serves as a good introduction to transactional memory (which was mentioned in the Goetz/Holmes episode) and – to some extent – to garbage collection.
- Wikipedia on Garbage Collection
- A unified theory of garbage collection
- Transactional memory: architectural support for lock-free data structures
- The paper on which this episode is based. You should read it to see the full beauty of the analogy
- Wikipedia on Transactional Memory