Episode 127: Usability with Joachim Machate

Filed in Episodes by on February 25, 2009 7 Comments

Recording Venue:
Guest(s): Joachim Machate

Host(s): Markus
This episode is an introduction to user interface design with Joachim Machate of UID. We talk about the importance of user interface design, about its relationship to the overall software engineering process, as well as about UID’s process for systematic user interface design.

Tags: , , ,

1. ssk says:

Dear SE-Radio Team

Kudos!!!

I request you to provide an episode on the following topics

• Build automation
    • Continuous integration
    • Free Tools for SE
    • Architecture for Embedded systems
    • Testing Tools for embedded systems

Thankyou
    ./S.SenthilKumar, India

2. The0retico says:

If everyone will write such a request, I think there will be large variety in topics, so individual request sounds like an unrealistic thing. Moreover, Markus mentioned in some episode that they have quite a lot of material and that they will publish topics they like and think that they are relevant. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. Markus says:

Yes… also I find “request” a somewhat inappropriate term…. you can’t “request” anything. You can suggest, or even better, help do an episode on a topic. But “request” is not something I am going to react to.

Markus

4. patrick.wilkes says:

Hi guys
    When people are not writing in their first language, I always try to be generous when interpreting what they have said.

Can I suggest that your correspondent is politely recommending some topics that you might consider for future episodes? I didn’t read any ‘demands’ in their post.

Best wishes,

Patrick

5. kreich says:

Thanks Patrick for pointing to the intercultural issues involved in misunderstanding SentilKumar’s post.

I have found that typical Indian English is perceived as very rough by people from many nationalities. However this is not just a problem with Indians or with non-native speakers. I have talked with British and South African people that are considering the American’s use of English as quite rude.

May I suggest an episode about Intercultural Communication in Software Engineering. I believe that this topic is quite relevant in a world with global software delivery models. There a plenty of people with a good knowledge about intercultural communication, but I have yet to meet anybody who is able to explain this issue from a software engineer’s perspective. Maybe somebody could help with finding that person?

Regards

Kilian

6. Markus says:

Do you have any suggestion with whom we could talk about this on SE Radio?

Markus

7. kreich says:

I hate to admit that I don’t have a decent idea. The experts on intercultural communication I am aware off don’t have specific knowledge about intercultural communication in software engineering.

You might check with Chad Fowler. He has written a book “My Job Went to India (And All I Got Was This Lousy Book)” (published at the “Pragmatic Bookshelf”, http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com). Chad Fowler lived and worked in India, setting up and leading an offshore software development center for a large multinational company. Although his book is not explicitly about intercultural communication, apparently he has gained a good understanding about the software engineering culture in India and possibly can contribute something to this topic.

Regards