Sven Johann talks with Andrew Phillips about DevOps. First, they try to define it. Then, they discuss its roots in agile operations, its relationship to lean development and continuous delivery, its goals, and how to get started. They proceed to system thinking and what “You build it, you run it” means for a system when developers have pager duty.
They continue with the diversity of DevOps requirements among companies and industries; copying ideas versus finding your own way; culture, mindset, and recommended practices; and the mandatory tool chain. They wrap up by discussing architectural styles that support DevOps and DevOps costs versus benefits.
- Patrick Debois’s blog http://www.jedi.be/blog/
- Gene Kim’s blog http://itrevolution.com/devops-blog/
- John Willis’s blog https://blog.docker.com/author/john-willis/
- DevOps Cafe http://devopscafe.org/
- Puppet Labs 2015 State of DevOps Report https://puppetlabs.com/2015-devops-report
- DevOpsDays conference series http://www.devopsdays.org/
- The IT Manager’s Guide to Continuous Delivery https://xebialabs.com/resources/whitepapers/the-it-managers-guide-to-continuous-delivery/
- “Embracing Downtime: Why 99.999…% Availability Is Not Always Better” http://blog.xebialabs.com/2010/12/08/embracing-downtime-why-99-999-availability-is-not-always-better/