Sven Johann talks with Steve McConnell about Software Estimation. Topics include when and why businesses need estimates and when they don’t need them; turning estimates into a plan and validating progress on the plan; why software estimates are always full of uncertainties, what these uncertainties are and how to deal with them. They continue with: estimation, planning and monitoring a Scrum project from the beginning to a possible end. They close with estimation techniques in the large (counting, empirical data) and in the small (e.g. poker planning).
- Steve’s software estimation book on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0735605351/stevemcconnelcon
- His estimation online class, http://ondemand.construx.com/online-course/software-estimation-in-depth/
- Seventeen Theses on Software Estimation (Expanded) (conversation with Ron Jeffries), http://www.construx.com/10x_Software_Development/17_Theses_on_Software_Estimation_(Expanded)/
- Building a Fort: Lessons Learned in Software Estimation, http://www.construx.com/10x_Software_Development/Building_a_Fort__Lessons_in_Software_Estimation/
- Cone of Uncertainty white paper, http://www.construx.com/Resources/Posters/Cone_of_Uncertainty/
- Cone of Uncertainty poster (pdf), http://www.construx.com/Thought_Leadership/Books/Survival_Guide/Resources_By_Chapter/Software_Development_Posters/
- Cone of Uncertainty controversy blog entry, http://www.construx.com/10x_Software_Development/Cone_of_Uncertainty_Controversy/